Welcome to StencilArchive.org, home for thousands of photographs, videos, etc. from the stencil-loving community and has been sharing negative space since 2002. How can you support this site (beyond submitting pics, videos, etc.)?
- Take a San Francisco tour. Two to choose from.
- Buy an autographed copy of my book "Stencil Nation", discounted from retail prices.
- Donate any amount to keep Stencil Archive alive.
- Find the Stencil Archives' best original photos on Instagram and flickr.
Thanks so much - Russell
Bob Egelko, SF Chronicle
By Jane Perlez, New York Times
Dateline: SYDNEY, Australia
By Kirk Semple, New York Times
Published: July 9, 2004
This essay was originally written for Josh MacPhee's Stencil Pirates book. Parts of the text were used in the book's final run, but here it is in its entirety. Note: this is in no way a comprehensive history of stencil art. Hopefully it is the beginning of the artform's history.
"We need to learn how to spread the vision of liberation and life everywhere in humble, small, invisible ways. Like grass slowly growing up through the cracks in the concrete, perhaps our counterinformation can eventually sneak up on the mighty machine and topple it."
- PB Floyd, Slingshot, Summer 2003
Stencil Archive's 2003 stencil show, San Francisco, CA
Hard copy books about stencils
From Justseed's "Stencil Four" 'zine (Feb. 2001)