I have written an essay for this very special book.
Blek le Rat, the “godfather” of stencil graffiti commemorates 30 years creating art on the streets with the launch of new retrospective from Art Publishing, Ltd.
Xavier Prou a.k.a. Blek le Rat, the Parisian-born artist practicing stencil graffiti since the late 1970’s, will be celebrating his 30-year anniversary of creating art on the streets later this year with a highly anticipated book launch at Art Basel Miami Beach 2011 and gallery exhibitions throughout the United States and Europe. Blek le Rat is one of the most prolific stencil graffiti artists of his generation, applying his trademark rats and iconic imagery around the world since New Year’s Eve, 1981. His work has influenced many of the most celebrated contemporary artists including the infamously anonymous graffiti artist Banksy, who in 2006 said, “Every time I think I’ve painted something slightly original, I find out that Blek le Rat has done it as well. Only twenty years earlier. . .”
This retrospective features the artist's private family photos, point and shoot images of his graffiti artwork from around the world, and full-color reproductions of his gallery pieces. The book is separated into two distinct sections: "Street Art" and "Fine Art," both of which are augmented by the writing of celebrated scholars, critics, experts in relevant fields, fellow artists, journalists, collectors and gallerists. Lavishly illustrated with more than 200 images, "Blek le Rat," the 30 year anniversary retrospective offers the first full history of this seminal artist's tradition and legacy, featuring:
· Street art images from around the world
· Full-color reproductions of Blek le Rat's fine art
· Never before seen images from the Prou family's private archives
· 30+ essays from celebrated artists, scholars, critics and gallerists from around the world.
· Jonathan LeVine, Jonathan LeVine Gallery
· Jeffrey T. Iverson, Time Magazine
· Carol Kino, regular contributer to New York Times
· Ken Harman, Hi-Fructose
· Russell Howze, author of "Stencil Nation: Graffiti, Community, and Art"
· Carlo McCormick, culture critic, curator and senior editor of Paper Magazine
· Waldemar Januszczak, Britain's most distinguished art critic, writer for Sunday Times
· Jean-David Malat, Opera Gallery
· Justin Giarla, White Walls Gallery
· Anthony Lister, painter and installation artist
. . .and many many more!
Blek le Rat: The 30 Year Anniversary Retrospective
Limited edition: Hardcover, 12.25 x 9.5 in (31.1 x 24.13 cm) 156 pages
Art Publishing Ltd. is dedicated to providing the discerning consumer and sophisticated reader with the ultimate experience literary objects d’art. We believe in the power of art to ignite the imagination, stimulate thought, and provide entertainment. We strive to provoke though in the arts community, and support the role of art in our society through our publications.
Interviews with Blek le Rat and other press related inquiries can be arranged through Libby Oliver.